+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Recent shooting

Peggy Baptiste

Recent shooting

With the recent shooting here I really hope that the government steps in to do something about security in the schools. There have been nearly 100 if not more school shootings since Columbine and students and teachers are both victims. I'm not talking about cracking down on gun control for the country, not even the state! Just do something to help secure our children, our futures!

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Peggy Baptiste View Post
    With the recent shooting here I really hope that the government steps in to do something about security in the schools. There have been nearly 100 if not more school shootings since Columbine and students and teachers are both victims. I'm not talking about cracking down on gun control for the country, not even the state! Just do something to help secure our children, our futures!
    I'm sorry, I must admit after reading your post I doubted the accuracy of what you wrote. Nearly 100 school shootings since Columbine seemed unrealistic, but I was wrong. After accessing information on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._United_States) I learned the following:

Point of reference: Columbine High School Massacre occurred on 04/20/1999

3 = 04/21/99 - 12/31/99 (School shootings in 1999 after Columbine)
    51 = 01/01/2000 - 12/31/2009 (School shootings in 2000's first decade)
    94 = 01/01/2010 - 06/10/2014 (School shootings in 2010's thus far)

So, there have been exactly 148 School Shootings (by my count) since Columbine, a staggering number. In fact, if you look at the data and compare this decade with the last, you will see something quite alarming. Last decade we had a total of 51 School Shootings here in the U.S.. So far, for this decade, we are already at 94 School Shootings and we're not even halfway through yet. Yes, we are on track for over 200 School Shootings at the end of the current decade which will be an increase of over 400 percent! WOW!

+ Reply to Thread